Hyundai Elantra: Main components of occupant classification system
- A detection device located under the front passenger seat frame.
- Electronic system to determine whether the passenger air bag systems (both front and side) should be activated or deactivated.
- A warning light located on the instrument panel which illuminates the words "PASSENGER AIR BAG OFF" indicating the front passenger air bag system is deactivated.
- The instrument panel air bag warning light is interconnected with the occupant classification system.
If the front passenger seat is occupied by a person that the system determines to be of adult size, and he/she sits properly (sitting upright with the seatback in an upright position, centered on the seat cushion with their seat belt on, legs comfortably extended and their feet on the floor), the "PASSENGER AIR BAG OFF" indicator will be turned off and the front passenger's air bag will be able to inflate, if necessary, in frontal crashes.
You will find the "PASSENGER AIR BAG OFF" indicator on the center facia panel. This system detects the conditions 14 in the following table and activates or deactivates the front passenger air bag based on these conditions.
Always be sure that you and all vehicle occupants are seated and restrained properly (sitting upright with the seat in an upright position, centered on the seat cushion, with the person's legs comfortably extended, feet on the floor, and wearing the safety belt properly) for the most effective protection by the air bag and the safety belt.
• The OCS may not function properly if the passenger takes actions which can defect the detection system. These include:
(1) Failing to sit in an upright position.
(2) Leaning against the door or center console.
(3) Sitting towards the sides or the front of the seat.
(4) Putting legs on the dashboard or resting them on other locations which reduce the passenger weight on the front seat.
(5) Improperly wearing the safety belt.
(6) Reclining the seat back.