Kia Optima: Before starting
- Close and lock all doors.
- Position the seat so that all controls are easily reached.
- Adjust the inside and outside rearview mirrors.
- Be sure that all lights work.
- Check all gauges.
- Check the operation of warning lights when the ignition switch is turned to the ON position.
- Release the parking brake and make sure the brake warning light goes out.
For safe operation, be sure you are familiar with your vehicle and its equipment.
All passengers must be properly belted whenever the vehicle is moving. Refer to “Seat belts” in section 3 for more information on their proper use.
Always check the surrounding areas near your vehicle for people, especially children, before putting a vehicle into D (Drive) or R (Reverse).
WARNING - Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
Drinking and driving is dangerous. Drunk driving is the number one contributor to the highway death toll each year. Even a small amount of alcohol will affect your reflexes, perceptions and judgement.
Driving while under the influence of drugs is as dangerous or more dangerous than driving drunk.
You are much more likely to have a serious accident if you drink or take drugs and drive.
If you are drinking or taking drugs, don’t drive. Do not ride with a driver who has been drinking or taking drugs. Choose a designated driver or call a cab.
- When you intend to park or stop the vehicle with the engine on, be careful not to depress the accelerator pedal for a long period of time. It may overheat the engine or exhaust system and cause fire.
- When you make a sudden stop or turn the steering wheel rapidly, loose objects may drop on the floor and it could interfere with the operation of the foot pedals, possibly causing an accident. Keep all things in the vehicle safely stored.
- If you do not focus on driving, it may cause an accident. Be careful when operating what may disturb driving such as audio or heater. It is the responsibility of the driver to always drive safely.
Necessary inspectionsFluid levels, such as engine oil, engine coolant, brake fluid, and washer fluid should be checked on a regular basis, with the exact interval depending on the fluid. Further details are provided i ...
Climate control seat (if equipped)
The climate control seat is provided to cool or warm the seat during hot or cold weather by blowing air through small vent holes on the surface of the seat and seatback.