Nissan Sentra Service Manual: How to Check Terminal
CONNECTOR AND TERMINAL PIN KIT
- Use the connector and terminal pin kits listed below when replacing connectors or terminals.
- The connector and terminal pin kits contain some of the most commonly used NISSAN/INFINITI connectors and terminals. For detailed connector and terminal pin replacement procedures, refer to the latest NISSAN/ INFINITI CONNECTOR AND TERMINAL PIN SERVICE MANUAL.
HOW TO PROBE CONNECTORS
- Connector damage and an intermittent connection can result from improperly probing of the connector during circuit checks.
- The probe of a digital multimeter (DMM) may not correctly fit the connector cavity. To correctly probe the connector, follow the procedures below using a вЂњTвЂќ pin. For the best contact grasp the вЂњTвЂќ pin using an alligator clip.
Probing from Harness Side
Standard type (not
waterproof type) connector should be probed from harness side with вЂњTвЂќ pin.
- If the connector has a rear cover such as a ECM connector, remove the rear cover before probing the terminal.
- Do not probe waterproof connector from harness side. Damage to the seal between wire and connector may result.
Probing from Terminal Side
- There is a small notch above each female terminal. Probe each terminal with the вЂњTвЂќ pin through the notch.
Do not insert any object other than the same type male terminal into female terminal.
Some connectors do
not have a notch above each terminal. To probe each terminal, remove the connector retainer to make contact space for probing.
- Carefully probe the contact surface of each terminal using a вЂњTвЂќ pin.
Dot not bend terminal.
How to Check Enlarged Contact Spring of Terminal
- An enlarged contact spring of a terminal may create intermittent signals in the circuit.
- If the intermittent open circuit occurs, follow the procedure below to inspect for open wires and enlarged contact spring of female terminal.
- Assemble a male terminal and approx. 10 cm (3.9 in) of wire.
Use a male terminal which matches the female terminal.
- Disconnect the suspected faulty connector and hold it terminal side up.
- While holding the wire of the male terminal, try to insert the male terminal into the female terminal.
Do not force the male terminal into the female terminal with your hands.
- While moving the connector, check whether the male terminal can be easily inserted or not.
- If the male terminal can be easily inserted into the female terminal, replace the female terminal.
Waterproof Connector Inspection
If water enters the connector, it can short interior circuits. This may lead to intermittent problems.
Check the following items to maintain the original waterproof characteristics.
RUBBER SEAL INSPECTION
- Most waterproof connectors are provided with a rubber seal between the male and female connectors. If the seal is missing, the waterproof performance may not meet specifications.
- The rubber seal may come off when connectors are disconnected.
Whenever connectors are reconnected, make sure the rubber seal is properly installed on either side of male or female connector.
WIRE SEAL INSPECTION
- The wire seal must be installed on the wire insertion area of a waterproof connector. Be sure that the seal is installed properly.
Terminal Lock Inspection
Check for unlocked terminals by pulling wire at the end of connector.
An unlocked terminal may create intermittent signals in the circuit.
Intermittent IncidentDESCRIPTION Sometimes the symptom is not present when the vehicle is brought in for service. If possible, re-create the conditions present at the time of the incident. Doing so may help avoid a No ...
Symptom Table If ABS warning lamp and SLIP indicator lamp turn ON, perform self-diagnosis. NOTE: 1: The ABS does not operate when the speed is 10 km/h (6 MPH) or less. 2: Under the following conditions, ABS is activated and vibration is felt when brake pedal is lightly depr ...
Cruise control operations
The cruise control allows driving at a speed between 25 - 89 MPH (40 - 144 km/h) without keeping your foot on the accelerator pedal. To turn on the cruise control, push the ON·OFF switch.