Toyota Highlander Service Manual: Under hood
1. GENERAL NOTES
- Maintenance items may vary from country to country. Check the owner's manual supplement in which the maintenance schedule is shown.
- Every service item in the periodic maintenance schedule must be performed.
- Periodic maintenance service must be performed according to whichever interval in the periodic maintenance schedule occurs first, the odometer reading (miles) or the time interval (months).
- Maintenance service after the last period should be performed at the same interval as before unless noted.
- Failure to do even one of the items can cause the engine to run poorly and/or increase the exhaust emissions.
2. WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUID
(a) Check that there is sufficient fluid in the tank.
3. ENGINE COOLANT LEVEL
(a) Check that the coolant level is between the LEVEL lines on the see-through reservoir at normal temperature (20C (68F)).
4. RADIATOR AND HOSES
(a) Check that the front of the radiator is clean and not blocked by leaves, dirt or bugs.
(b) Check the hoses for cracks, kinks, rot or loose connections.
5. BATTERY ELECTROLYTE LEVEL
(a) Check the indicator.
(b) Check that the electrolyte level of all the battery cells is between the upper and lower level lines on the case.
6. BRAKE FLUID LEVEL
(a) Check that the brake fluid levels are near the upper level line on the see-through reservoirs.
7. ENGINE DRIVE BELT
(a) Check the drive belt for fraying, cracks, wear or oiliness.
8. ENGINE OIL LEVEL
(a) Check the level on the dipstick with the engine turned off.
9. POWER STEERING FLUID LEVEL
(a) Check the level on the dipstick.
(b) The level should be in the "HOT" or "COLD" range depending on the fluid temperature.
10. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID LEVEL
(a) Park the vehicle on a level surface.
(b) With the engine idling and the parking brake applied, shift the selector into all the positions from "P" to "L", and then shift into the "P" position.
(c) Pull out the dipstick and wipe off the fluid with a clean shop rag. Re-insert the dipstick and check that the fluid level is in the "HOT" range.
(d) Perform this check with the fluid at the normal driving temperature (70 to 80C, 158 to 176F).
HINT: Wait until the engine cools down (approx. 30 min.) before checking the fluid level after extended driving at high speed, in hot weather, in heavy traffic or after pulling a trailer.
11. EXHAUST SYSTEM
(a) Visually inspect for cracks, holes or loose supports.
If any change in the sound of the exhaust or the smell of the exhaust fumes is noticed, locate and correct the cause.
Inside vehicleGENERAL MAINTENANCE HINT: These are maintenance and inspection items which are considered to be the owner's responsibility. They can be done by the owner or they can have them done at a service ...
EngineON-VEHICLE INSPECTION HINT: Inspect these items when the engine is cold. 1. REPLACE TIMING BELT (See page 2AZ-FE: 14-68 , 3MZ-FE: 14-206 ) 2. INSPECT DRIVE BELT (See page 2AZ-FE: 14-5 , 3MZ-FE: 14 ...
More about Toyota Highlander:
Drive belt (3MZ-FE)
REPLACEMENT 1. REMOVE FRONT WHEEL RH 2. REMOVE ENGINE UNDER COVER NO.1 3. REMOVE FRONT FENDER APRON SEAL RH 4. REMOVE V (COOLER COMPRESSOR TO CRANKSHAFT PULLEY) BELT NO.1 (a) Loosen bolts A and B. (b) Loosen adjusting bolt C and remove the belt. 5.