Toyota RAV4 Owners Manual: Cleaning and protectingthe vehicle exterior
Toyota RAV4 Owners Manual: Cleaning and protecting the vehicle exterior
Perform the following to protect the vehicle and maintain it in prime condition:
- Working from top to bottom, liberally apply water to the vehicle body, wheel wells and underside of the vehicle to remove any dirt and dust.
- Wash the vehicle body using a sponge or soft cloth, such as a chamois.
- For hard-to-remove marks, use car wash soap and rinse thoroughly with water.
- Wipe away any water.
- Wax the vehicle when the waterproof coating deteriorates.
If water does not bead on a clean surface, apply wax when the vehicle body is cool.
Automatic car washes
Before washing the vehicle:
- Fold the mirrors
- Remove the antenna
- Turn off the power back door (if equipped)
Start washing from the front of the vehicle. Make sure to re-install the antenna and extend the mirrors before driving.
- Brushes used in automatic car washes may scratch the vehicle surface and harm your vehicle’s paint.
High pressure car washes
- Do not allow the nozzles of the car wash to come within close proximity of the windows.
- Before using the car wash, check that the fuel filler door on your vehicle is closed properly.
Notes for a smart key system (if equipped)
- If the door handle becomes wet while the electronic key is within the effective range, the door may lock and unlock repeatedly. Place the key in a position 6 ft. (2 M) or more separate from the vehicle while the vehicle is being washed. (Take care to ensure that the key is not stolen.)
- If the electronic key is inside the vehicle and a door handle becomes wet during a car wash, a buzzer will sound outside the vehicle. To turn off the alarm, lock all the doors.
Aluminum wheels (if equipped)
- Remove any dirt immediately by using a neutral detergent. Do not use hard brushes or abrasive cleaners. Do not use strong or harsh chemical cleaners.
Use the same mild detergent and wax as used on the paint.
- Do not use detergent on the wheels when they are hot, for example after driving for long distance in the hot weather.
- Wash detergent from the wheels immediately after use.
Do not scrub with abrasive cleaners.
When washing the vehicle
Do not apply water to the inside of the engine compartment. Doing so may cause the electrical components etc. To catch fire.
Precautions regarding the exhaust pipes
Exhaust gases cause the exhaust pipes to become quite hot.
When washing the vehicle, be careful not to touch the pipes until they have cooled sufficiently, as touching hot exhaust pipes can cause burns.
Precautions regarding the blind spot monitor (if equipped)
If the paint of the rear bumper is chipped or scratched, the system may malfunction.
If this occurs, consult your toyota dealer.
To prevent paint deterioration and corrosion on the body and components (aluminum wheels etc.)
Wash the vehicle immediately in the following cases:
- After driving near the sea coast
- After driving on salted roads
- If coal tar or tree sap is present on the paint surface
- If dead insects, insect droppings or bird droppings are present on the paint surface
- After driving in an area contaminated with soot, oily smoke, mine dust, iron powder or chemical substances
- If the vehicle becomes heavily soiled with dust or mud
- if liquids such as benzene and gasoline are spilled on the paint surface
- If the paint is chipped or scratched, have it repaired immediately.
- To prevent the wheels from corroding, remove any dirt and store in a place with low humidi
Cleaning the exterior lights
- Wash carefully. Do not use organic substances or scrub with a hard brush.
This may damage the surfaces of the lights.
- Do not apply wax to the surfaces of the lights.
Wax may cause damage to the lenses.
Antenna installation and removal precautions
- Before driving, ensure that the antenna is installed.
- When the antenna is removed, such as before entering an automatic car wash, make sure to store it in a suitable place so as not to lose it. Also, before driving, make sure to reinstall the antenna in its original position.