Toyota RAV4 Owners Manual: If your vehicle overheats
The following may indicate that your vehicle is overheating.
- The high engine coolant temperature warning light Comes on or a loss of engine power is experienced. (For example, the vehicle speed does not increase.)
- Steam comes out from under the hood.
- Stop the vehicle in a safe place and turn off the air conditioning system, and then stop the engine.
- If you see steam: carefully lift the hood after the steam subsides.
If you do not see steam: carefully lift the hood.
- After the engine has cooled down sufficiently, inspect the hoses and radiator core (radiator) for any leaks.
- Cooling fans
If a large amount of coolant leaks, immediately contact your toyota dealer.
- The coolant level is satisfactory if it is between the “full” and “low” lines on the reservoir.
- Add coolant if necessary.
Water can be used in an emergency if coolant is unavailable.
- Start the engine and turn the air conditioning system on to check that the radiator cooling fans operate and to check for coolant leaks from the radiator or hoses.
The fans operate when the air conditioning system is turned on immediately after a cold start. Confirm that the fans are operating by checking the fan sound and air flow. If it is difficult to check these, turn the air conditioning system on and off repeatedly. (The fans may not operate in freezing temperatures.)
- If the fans are not operating: stop the engine immediately and contact your toyota dealer.
If the fans are operating: have the vehicle inspected at the nearest toyota dealer.
When inspecting under the hood of your vehicle
Observe the following precautions.
Failure to do so may result in serious injury such as burns.
- If steam is seen coming from under the hood, do not open the hood until the steam has subsided. The engine compartment may be very hot.
- Keep hands and clothing (especially a tie, a scarf or a muffler) away from the fans and belts. Failure to do so may cause the hands or clothing to be caught, resulting in serious injury.
- Do not loosen the coolant reservoir cap while the engine and radiator are hot. High temperature steam or coolant could spray out.
When adding engine coolant
Add coolant slowly after the engine has cooled down sufficiently. Adding cool coolant to a hot engine too quickly can cause damage to the engine.
To prevent damage to the cooling system
Observe the following precautions:
- Avoid contaminating the coolant with foreign matter (such as sand or dust etc.).
- Do not use any coolant additive.
Monitor drive pattern
Test monitor drive pattern for ect Caution: Perform this drive pattern on a level surface and strictly observe the posted speed limits and traffic laws while driving. Hint: Performing this drive pattern is one method to simulate the ect's malfunction detection conditions. The dtcs may ...
Turns on the front left seat heater (high) Turns on the front left seat heater (low) Turns on the front right seat heater (high) Turns on the front right seat heater (low) The indicator light comes on. The seat heaters can be used when Vehicles without a smart key system T ...
Initialize sliding roof drive gear subassembly Notice: When replacing the sliding roof drive gear, the sliding roof drive gear requires initialization. If a reset is not executed, the following functions do not operate: auto operation and key off operation. Turn the ignition switch on.