Toyota RAV4 Service Manual: Automatic transaxle fluid
- Check transaxle fluid level
Drive the vehicle so that the engine and transaxle are at normal operating temperature.
Fluid temperature: 70 to 80°c (158 to 176°f)
- Park the vehicle on a level surface and set the parking brake.
- With the engine idling and the brake pedal depressed, move the shift lever to each position from p to l position, and return it to the p position.
- Take out the atf dipstick and wipe it clean.
- Fully push the dipstick back into the pipe.
- Take it out and check that the fluid level is at the hot position.
If there are leaks, it is necessary to repair or replace o-rings, fipgs, oil seals, plugs and/or other parts.